There are thousands of businesses in New York that are fighting to grow revenues by any means possible, so the internet marketing competition is tougher in metro New York than in most places. And with 90% of consumers turning first to the web to find local goods and services, your business definitively needs to be featured properly online. But with Madison Avenue’s advertising expertise being tapped by competitors with bigger bank accounts, to truly stand out online on a shoe string budget takes a savvy business owner with some gorilla marketing instincts.
Surprisingly one internet marketing strategy that is often overlooked by many New York businesses is search engine optimization (SEO). So what exactly is SEO? And how can SEO, especially geo-targeted SEO, help you achieve your Internet Marketing success for your New York Business.
Search engine optimization is defined by Wikipedia as the process used to improve the visibility of your web site in search engines via the “natural” or un-paid or “organic” search results techniques. In short, if your site is properly optimized, when somebody does a search with keywords relevant to your business, your site comes up in the top results. Natural results are different than “paid results” which companies bid on, and are represented by the first few shaded results and the ones on the sides of the page.
So how do you optimize your site? Below are 8 SEO tips which will enable your site to come up in searches, a key component to internet marketing success.
1. Have your site built in a CMS that is easily crawled by search engine spiders. I suggest WordPress for most of my clients.
2. Run a key word analysis with Google’s key word tool to see what terms people are searching on relevant to your business.
3. One trick – if there is a lot of competition on certain key words critical to your value proposition, and most of your business is local, geo-target your keywords with city, state or zip codes.
4. Once you have a list, bake those keywords into the title tags, meta tag descriptions, header tags and the web content of your site.
5. Then, put fresh content out on your site’s blog about topics relevant to your product or services. Obviously the articles should have the keywords that you want to optimize for within them, but REMEMBER THE QUALITY OF THE CONTENT IS KING, SO DON”T WRITE FOR WEB SPIDERS, WRITE FOR PEOPLE!
6. Make sure your web developer has your site is indexed correctly and it’s being crawled by the spiders regularly.
7. Now most importantly, get inbound links to your site from around the internet. You can do this in a variety of ways, like by submitting articles to article submission sites, or posting your site to local directories. But the best types of links are the ones from established online entities who link to and drive traffic to your site because they value in the content.
8. Lastly, set up some social media accounts like Twitter, Facebook, etc and promote your services to everybody you are connected with.
If the above sounds daunting, that’s OK because it is. And note, this is just a brief overview, a comprehensive SEO strategy is very involved and will take a novice months or years to achieve. But don’t dismay, if you are in need of an effective SEO strategy for your New York business, you can get help from the internet marketing experts of Flare Gun Web Marketing. We specialize in web